DIY Natural Facial Serum
Autumn is probably my favourite time of the year, with the beautiful colours of the leaves and a crispness in the air. It’s also a great time to begin to prepare for Winter, which can leave skin dried out from cold winds and central heating. So I’m happy to share with you a step by step guide to making a powerful facial serum. This tried and tested recipe will boost your skin with vitamins and essential fatty acids while building moisture levels to take you into Winter with a glow. The beauty of this recipe is that it is super easy to personalise. Simply choose the oils that harmonise with your skin using the base oil and essential oil guide.
a bowl or small jug
a spoon to stir
A funnel (if you are using a small jug you won’t need this)
A small bottle to store your cleanser in (preferably glass)
1 part sweet almond oil
1 part rose hip oil (this oil is packed with antioxidants, vitamins and essential fatty acids which make it very effective at reducing fine lines. It also evens the skin tone and helps the skin to regenerate.)
1 part personalised base oil (choose best oil for your skin type from the list below)
A few drops of Vitamin E oil (this is both anti ageing, smoothes the appearance of scars or blemishes and acts as a natural preservative)
A few drops of essential oil (again, choose best oil for your skin type from the list below) Choose scents that please you. Even a few small drops of these powerful botanical oils can have a positive impact on your skin, so no need to overwhelm your senses!
oily skin: sunflower, grapeseed oil or hazelnut oil
dry or mature skin: avocado, argan or evening primrose oil
Sensitive skin: calendula oil or sweet almond oil
normal or combination skin: grapeseed or sweet almond oil
oily skin: ylang ylang, neroli, bergamot
dry or mature skin: frankincense, patchouli, sandalwood, rose
normal or combination skin: geranium, ylang ylang, neroli
sensitive or troubled skin: lavender, geranium, chamomile, frankincense
Mix together your sweet almond oil, rosehip oil and the base oil you have chosen from the list above. Stir thoroughly in your bowl or jug.
Add 3-5 drops of essential oil. Feel free to keep it simple with one essential oil, or mix two or even three together (no more than three!) to create the perfect blend for your skin. Keep smelling and add more drops if you like a stronger scent, but go slowly.
Massage into your skin, breathe deeply and relax while the oils and botanical essences heal, balance and regenerate your skin. Simple! Use every evening. Try taking your time and doing a few minutes of facial massage (see guide below). The serum can also be used in the morning, just allow it to sink in before applying any make up.
- Start by applying your facial serum. You need enough to be able to glide your fingers over your skin.
- Warm up the skin by doing large and small circles with fingertips all over the face.
- Make light circles with your fingertips around the eyes. Push toward the top of the nose and outer corners of eyes.
- Run fingertips across forehead to banish frown lines.
- Squeeze and pinch along jawline to tighten skin.
- Make gentle upward strokes from the base of the neck up to the jawline.It’s important not to forget the neck!
- Gentle outward strokes across forehead toward ears to drain lymph glands
- Gentle outward strokes across face toward jawline to drain lymph glands
- Gentle outward strokes across neck toward chest to drain lymph glands
- Press and hold just the tips of the fingers across the forehead.
- Press and hold just the tips of the fingers across brow line
- Press and hold along the sockets under the eyes, this helps enormously with eye bags or swelling.
- Press and hold along each side of the nose.
- Press on temples
- Press and hold outwards across cheeks towards ears.
- Gentle tapping across the whole face
- Finish with gentle strokes using all finger tips upwards.
- If the skin becomes red or if the pressure hurts, go more gently.
- Relax, breathe deeply and enjoy. Allow yourself to go with the flow, only do what feels good!
**Upcoming Skincare Workshop in Berlin**
I am excited to be offering the first Cocotu workshop in collaboration with hu! coming up in Berlin on Nov 13th. You will learn to how to craft natural care products to protect your skin for Winter. The products also make perfect hand made Xmas gifts! More information on the workshop and how to register
Stay tuned for more workshops by signing up for heads up!'s newsletter and following us on facebook.
text and photos: Gemma Hannah